Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Research assistance, subject guides, and useful resources compiled by your friendly librarians. Know what we know - find it in our Specialty Guides!
Start or Join a Journal Club
A journal club is a group of clinicians who meet on a regular basis to critically evaluate recently published articles. Journal clubs are a well-recognized quality improvement strategy used by health practitioners to critique and keep up-to-date with relevant health literature. Starting or joining a journal club is a great way to explore innovations on a topic that interests you, and discover your future research collaborators. Working together as a team you can maximize your 'professional development', and achieve more with less time.
Starting a new Journal Club.....
Check the list of active clubs below, to see if a club is already active on your topic. Contact PAH library for some tips, and to book library group-rooms. Use these guides to get started ....
PAH Journal Clubs
More Journal Clubs
Membership open to...
|Queensland Digital Health Journal Club
||Queensland Digital Health Journal Club showcases current research and latest developments in digital healthcare across the world.
|Cochrane Journal Club
||Each Journal Club focuses on a recently published Cochrane Review and comes with a Clinical Case to help you place the review in the context of a specific scenario and discussion questions to help you think about the review methods and findings in more detail. Also, the Cochrane Review is free to access for 30 days.
||Dr Bill Cayley
|ACP Journal Club
||American College of Physicians Journal Club summarizes the best new evidence for internal medicine from over 120 clinical journals. Once a bimonthly stand-alone journal, ACP Journal Club is now a monthly feature of Annals of Internal Medicine.
||Dr Brian Haynes
|ANPT Journal Club
||Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy (ANPT), provides the Journal club in the form of a quarterly article and completed review designed for clinicians to utilize with colleagues at a meeting at their clinics.
||ANPT Practice Commitee
More articles & Sites
- The journal club and medical education: over one hundred years of unrecorded history. Postgrad Med J. 1987;63:475-8.
- Understanding and evaluating clinical trials. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1996;34:550-90.
- How to read a paper by Trisha Greenhalgh, ISBN: 9781118801116, Publication Date: 2014-02-26
- Anatomy of a Scholarly Article from the North Carolina University Library
- What is a journal club? from the American Journal of Critical Care
- Presenting a journal club: a guide. Ann Emerg Med 2004;44:169-174.
- A new approach to teaching and learning in journal club. Med Teach. 1999;21(3):289-293.
- A guide to critiquing a research paper on clinical supervision: enhancing skills for practice. Journal Of Psychiatric & Mental Health Nursing, 21(9), 834-840. doi:10.1111/jpm.12161
- What evidence is good evidence? A Masterclass in critical appraisal International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine, 2015-06-01 , Volume 18, Issue 2, Pages 116-129
- Writing & Research. Critical Appraisal of Health Professions Research. Radiologic Technology, 87(3), 355-358
- How to Read a Paper : The Basics of Evidence Based Medicine. BMJ Books.
- Teaching critical appraisal skills in healthcare settings. Cochrane Database Syst Rev(11), Cd001270. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001270.pub2
- Approach to presenting a clinical journal club.(2014). Gastroenterology. 146(7):1591-3.
- An evidence-based medicine curriculum implemented in journal club improves resident performance on the Fresno test. J Emerg Med.48(2):222-229.e1. .
- Evidence Based Medicine Toolkit from the University of Alberta
- EBM Worksheets From Dartmouth
- Critical Appraisal Worsksheets, Explanations, Calculators and CAT makers from the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine
- Journal Clubs: What Not to Do Academic Medicine, March 2012,87(3):257 Letters to the Editor
- Improving journal club presentations,or, I can present that paper in under 10 minutes. ACP J Club. Jul-Aug;147(1):A8-9.
- How to Prepare an Outstanding Journal Club Presentation. The Hematologist. Jan-Feb, 3(1).
- How to run an effective journal club: a systematic review. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 14(5), 898-911. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2753.2008.01050.x
- .Resident run journal club: a model based on the adult learning theory. Medical Teacher, 31(4), e156-161. doi: 10.1080/01421590802516723
- The 6 steps of evidence-based medicine: action plans and changing clinical practice through journal clubs .Evid Based Med, 12(4), 98-100. doi: 10.1136/ebm.12.4.98-a
- How to develop a successful journal club. (online) International Transplant Nurses Society. Includes templates.
- How to make journal clubs interesting Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 10 (1) 67-72; DOI: 10.1192/apt.10.1.67
- Journal club presentation tips from the University of Florida, College of Medicine
- Tips for a good delivery from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Department of General Medicine Journal Club
- Caresearch (Palliative Care Knowledge Network) Journal Club resources