The Matron Florence Chatfield Collection
The Chatfield collection was donated to the Diamantina Health Care Museum, and has recently been transferred to the State Library of Queensland for conservation care. These images taken around one hundred years ago, have been restored and digitized. In time, these and more images will be added to the SLQ catalogue with descriptive information.
Matron Florence Chatfield (1867-1949), was matron and then superintendent of the Diamantina Hospital for Chronic Diseases (which in time become the Princess Alexandra Hospital); and organizer of the Queensland Government Baby Clinics from their inception in 1918, and in 1920. Matron Chatfield was appointed O.B.E. in 1932. Matron Chatfield presided over the founding meeting in 1904 of the Queensland Branch of the Australasian Trained Nurses' Association (now Royal Australian Nursing Federation). Matron Chatfield's clock gently chimes the hour in the PAH Library, reminding us all to use our time wisely. For more PA Hospital history, visit the Diamantina Health Care Museum, open Wednesdays 11am-2.30pm and Sundays 12pm-2pm.